11 September 2012

Swedish meatballs...kind of

  Hey guys!

  In case you missed it, earlier I posted about food prepping. check it out here!, and the benefits it has to your health, and wallet! I will tell you what is on the agenda for the next 2 weeks in the Rose household.


1) Swedish meatballs
2) Italian beef and pasta
3)Sausage and potato casserole
4) Tomato soup and grilled cheese
5) Buffalo chicken sandwiches
6) Chicken chili

and repeat.

  I make 2 freezer bags of each meal so that we can make it for 2 weeks. I find most ingredients come in bigger packs, so it is easier for me to buy them and use them for 2 meals versus 1. 1 bag of dinner usually makes dinner for the 2 of us (with seconds!) and lunch the next day.

 Tonight was Swedish meatballs. And I call them kind-of because I am pretty sure they are about as Swedish as Barack Obama. (Romney Ryan 2012!) I made this recipe up, they taste good to me, and Jake practically slurps the gravy up...so thats a win in my book.

You will need:
2 pounds of ground beef
(or pre-made meat balls from the freezer section in your market)
1 egg
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs

thats about as far as I go with the meat balls, roll em together, and pan fry in olive oil until they have a firm, crispy outside.

for the gravy:
2 cup beef broth
1 medium onion
1/2 cup sour cream (per meal)

Easy peasy right?!
 I toss 1 pound of meatballs per gallon freezer bag, half of the onion, a cup of broth, and some additional spices (bay leaf, pepper) and mix together. Seal, and then the night before your ready to cook, take out of the freezer to defrost. Before work, toss the contents of your bag into a slow cooker for 8 hours on low.

 When you come home, mix in a 1/2 cup of sour cream,  and spoon over some egg noodles. Delicious!


Slow cooking meatballs is a very, very good idea. They practically melt in your mouth. (no innuendos please...but don't worry, I was sure to ask Jake how he liked the "balls in his mouth") hahahaha maturity of an 8 year old.






Have Absolutely Arkansas delivered to your inbox for FREE! You'll never miss a post! Enter Email Here:


1 comment: