20 September 2012

Tomato Soup...in 5 minutes (sort of)

  Long since the days of disgusting campbells condensed watered down ketchup. Sorry folks, but I was never the kid that fell for that constituting as a meal. And don't try to make it more appealing with gold fish crackers either...noooo THANKS.

 I grew up believing I hated tomato soup, and never really gave it a chance. But now...I.LOVE.IT. No I haven't come around to the idea of drinking ketchup, but the thick, creamy, delicious kind from panera bread makes my mouth water. (I actually have a bit of a cold and Jake brought me home some tonight..what a sweet boy).

 So when I began freezer cooking because I am lazy and don't want to cook a meal when I get home wanted to save money and be healthier, I knew I had to freeze a couple batches of this stuff for these cool fall nights.

 As a disclaimer, Jake HATES tomatoes..and you wouldn't catch him dead eating tomato soup...and he had 3 servings, and took it to lunch the next day...SUCCESS!


 Here is what you will need:

(remember this is for 2 freezer bags! 4 adult servings and 2 lunch servings per bag)

1 large can of WHOLE tomatoes (I think they have better flavor)
1 small can of WHOLE tomatoes
4 cups of chicken broth
2 stalks of celery
5 carrots
1 onion
cayenne pepper
pepper
salt
dried basil
bay leaf
parmesan cheese
and low fat cream cheese.
Butter
Flour


Drain your cans of tomatoes. Between your two bags, divide everything except the parm and cream cheese. It doesn't really matter if you cut your veggies to the same size because it will all be pureed anyway.

  Now you freeze until your ready to throw it in your crock! Toss one of your freezer bags in, and cook on low 8 hours, or high 5-6.  When you come home, your soup will look like this:


Appetizing right? I know..it doesn't look so hot yet. 
 Now you need to puree...



I used my emersion blender, you can put it in a food processor, or even a blender..just be careful...its hotter than a naked hillbilly running down the highway in July. Oh wait, that doesn't happen where you live? Must be an Arkansas thing.

 After you blend it (your crock can be on "warm" at this point) you need to make a roux. Ya know, thickener...melt half a stick of butter...dump in an 1/8th of a cup of flour cook for 30 seconds..add 1 cup hot soup. It will thicken immediately. Pour your roux back in the pureed soup and your good to go!

 I add some paremesan cheese, and about a 1/2 cup of cream cheese too..to give it that thick rich delicious taste. 

Don't forget to season with S&P! Crock cookin' mellows a lot of flavors, so you need to taste as you go for seasoning.



 I'm not kidding, people. It is SO.GOOD. Try it. You'll be impressed with yourself. And it will put you in the mood to light your pumpkin spice candle and have the in laws over for thanks giving dinner. (Oh...okay maybe not thaaaat far) ;)

(just kidding...I ADORE my in-laws.)






P.s. if you liked this freezer meal, be sure to check out my others:

sausage and potato chowder
swedish meatballs
freezer cookin basics

you can also view my recipe page click here!




Skip to my Lou/Keeping It Simple Crafts/DIY Showoff/
Home Stories A to Z / Uncommon Designs /Sugar and Dots / The Winthrop Chronicles
The Girl Creative / House of Hepworths / The Shabby Creek Cottage
Liz Marie Blog / Tater Tots & Jello / Shabby Nest / Whipper Berry /Funky Junk Interiors / Serenity Now /Classy Clutter / Someday Crafts
Reasons to Skip the Housework / Six Sisters Stuff / Be Different Act Normal/ Life with the Crust cut off/ The Turquoise HomeGinger Snap Crafts


Have Absolutely Arkansas delivered to your inbox for FREE! You'll never miss a post! Enter Email Here:


2 comments:

  1. we will definitely try this! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I liked your blog post, it was indeed amazing! I would like to mention a website Writing amazing blogs on 8 Surprising benefits of tomato soup that you must know https://holisticfoods.com/8-surprising-tomato-soup-benefits-that-you-must-know/

    ReplyDelete